Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator! (and Panda)



I read "Hooray for Amanda and Her Alligator" to my Mo Willems obsessed first graders this week and they LOVED it (as did I). Alligator is my favorite new character since Pigeon and the dynamic of Panda and Alligator is very reminiscent of Elephant and Piggie. What I like about this book is that it's NOT an easy reader. My first graders had great discussions about the meaning of the phrase "Books beat boredom" and a review of the words "value", "discovery", and "solution", which are all important in understanding the book. They recognized the book as Mo Willems right away, and loved seeing the "hidden" pigeon and Knuffle bunny.

A must for any library and any age. I can't wait to get my hands on an Alligator stuffed animal!

No comments:

Post a Comment